Saturday, May 12, 2012

1921 Butterick pattern dress project



so here is the pattern , an oldie , and I just now when uploading images for this page noticed the notes for construction ... oops . I really like the mention  "Dress should be worn over a Suitable Slip"


I traced pattern onto pellon to keep from damaging original , then cut from some mystery content fabric found on a clearance table , but in a perfect Jadeite green with a vintage Aisan inspired red print .


as always , a vintage machine must be called into use for a vintage sewing session , although I am not enthused enough in this heat in my upstairs sewing room to be 100% authentic & treadle this one , so a newfangled 1961 Singer 320K will do just fine : )


God forbid I leave well enough alone & use a tasteful crisp white collar , so I added some bright red braid type accents to it with the old "special purpose foot" ( whatever that means ) that came with the 320K Singer .


Then I used some fabric I bought like 10 years ago to drape a wall for a Tea I was hosting ( it was originally bought as throw away fabric to use for decor , but throw away & fabric can't coexist in my brain ) as an accent overlay on the center front panel & to make the sash .


here are the two fabrics together


the pattern calls for an elastic in casing around the dropped waist , being no fan of gathers or ruffles around my big bum , I opted to change that ( suprise ) to pleats at the sides & front , and some slight fullness at the back brought in with the sash .


 
and there you have it , a nice warm weather frock for afternoon tea , or more realistically in this climate & local  , chips & salsa with ice cold beer(s)
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment